This year it posed problems for the fireworks show.
The show coordinator says there was a low turnout and he thinks the blue-green algae could be to blame.
But not all residents are afraid of swimming in the water.
“We did a little more research on it, found out I guess it’s been sort of recording blue-green algae since 2008. So we’re like well we’re alive so we took out the boat and went wake boarding and stuff,” said Rae Hanson, swimmer.
According to the website “Web MD” blue-green algae can cause liver and nervous system damage.
If you’ve been exposed, see a doctor.