«

»

Blue-green Algae in Fern Ridge Reservoir

FERN RIDGE, Ore. — Local health officials are urging people to avoid the water in Fern Ridge Reservoir.

The reservoir has high levels of blue-green algae, which can make people and pets sick, Oregon Public Health officials said in a health advisory issued Friday. They say you should not drink or swallow the water, and the toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping-style filters.

If you are exposed to the toxins, symptoms include numbness, tingling and dizziness that can lead to difficulty breathing or heart problems and require immediate medical attention. Health officials say symptoms of skin irritation, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting should also receive medical attention if they persist or worsen.

For more information, click here or call Lane County Parks Department at 541-682-2000 or the Harmful Algae Bloom Surveillance (HABS) program at 971-673-0400.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


8 × 5 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>