Barn housing propane tanks goes up in flames

A barn in Dexter caught fire Tuesday evening. Fire crews said there were propane tanks and oil drums inside the barn.

Posted: Oct. 13, 2017 3:05 AM
Updated: Oct. 13, 2017 3:05 AM

DEXTER, Ore. -- A barn went up in flames Tuesday evening.

It happened at about 8 p.m. on Highway 58 and Matthews Drive.

The two-story building was filled with mechanical equipment and other materials. Firefighters said there was also propane tanks and oil drums in the area which made fighting the fire dangerous.

"Being aware of what's in there and knowing what chemicals you have -- cause once they start mixing and burning it's kind of anyone's game," said District Chief Matt Peterson, Dexter Fire and Rescue.

Officials said the owners tried to douse the flames with garden hose and extinguishers but that didn't work.

No one was injured.

Article Comments

Eugene
Overcast
55° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 55°
Corvallis
Overcast
57° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 57°
Roseburg
Broken Clouds
57° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 57°
North Bend
Broken Clouds
56° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 56°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events