COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A crash on Interstate 5 south of Cottage Grove left five horses dead and two people hospitalized.
Troopers say it started around 5:30 p.m. Friday at milepost 168 when a northbound pickup truck towing a horse trailer rear-ended a semi. Investigators say the driver of the pickup was distracted by an earlier accident in the southbound lanes.
The driver of the pickup and his passenger, both from Yoncalla, were airlifted to RiverBend hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. The animals were killed in the collision.
The accident brought traffic to a crawl for several hours while crews worked to clear the debris.
- 5 Horses Killed, Owners Injured on I-5
- Neglected horse sues former owner
- Owner of neglected horses found guilty
- California man accused of carjacking on I-5
- Motorcycle accident closes ramp onto I-5
- Motorcyclist arrested for flying down I-5
- Urn found near rest area off of I-5
- Driver pinned by guardrail after wreck on I-5
- Douglas County deputies led on chase up and down I-5
- Troopers search for suspect in I-5 attempted kidnapping