COTTAGE GROVE, Ore - The City of Cottage Grove has been working to contain a zombie home in the area.
The home, located at 1331 South 6th St., was abandoned by its owners several years ago. City staff said the house was trashed by squatters and pests living there and was covered in feet of trash and rodent feces.
Richard Meyers, Cottage Grove City Manager, said people who were in and out of the property brought crime and drugs to the neighborhood.
Meyers said the City couldn't do anything about it because they didn't have rights to the property. However, after working with the owner, the City is now leasing the house for $1 a month.
Neighbors were relieved to see the City was finally taking action.
"There were lots of drugs and lots of people coming by our house that were speaking to themselves and dancing and doing lots of crazy things, and it makes you worry about your children and how safe you really are in the area," said Ona Secord, a neighbor.
"I am so glad, so relieved," Secord continued. "Just with the last week, we've seen no problems going on which has been just a huge relief to feel a calm sense over the community."
Since November, police and public works crews have been working to clear squatters garbage from the property. Meyers said he is not sure how long it will take to clean but is hoping the bank forecloses on the property soon.
- Cottage Grove working to contain Zombie Home
- Car barrels into Cottage Grove home
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers
- Cottage Grove Police Search for Missing Man
- Federal investigation on Cottage Grove marijuana operation
- Cottage Grove woman celebrates 100th birthday
- New tourist attraction coming to Cottage Grove
- Teenagers accused of burglarizing Cottage Grove bank
- Helicopters swarm wildfire near Cottage Grove