Photo Gallery 4 Images
COTTAGE GROVE, Ore. -- A Florida man was arrested after police said he sped down I-5, reaching speeds of more than 100 mph.
Oregon State Police said they began getting calls around noon of a motorcyclist heading southbound at a high-speed, weaving in between cars and driving on the shoulder of I-5 north of Salem on Wednesday.
Troopers tried to stop the motorcyclist just south of Albany but the man kept driving. Officials eventually stopped pursuit once the motorcyclists reached speeds of more than 100 mph. They said continuing pursuit would put other drivers in danger.
"What one of our better options is to monitor the onramps and offramps of I-5 and see where the vehicle is going. In this particular case, it's a motorcycle and its fuel tank isn't that big," said Lt. Vonn Schleicher. "Eventually, they're going to run out of gas."
Several units set up monitoring sites from Coburg down to Goshen to track where the man was headed.
Officials said he made it all the way down to Cottage Grove where he exited off the interstate.
Derek Allen Jones, 35, was arrested and is facing charges of reckless driving and eluding police by vehicle.
Troopers say he is from Florida.
- Motorcyclist arrested for flying down I-5
- Traffic stop on I-5 leads to meth arrest in Sutherlin
- Motorcyclist killed in Linn County crash
- Motorcyclist killed in unusual accident near Albany
- California man accused of carjacking on I-5
- 5 Horses Killed, Owners Injured on I-5
- Motorcycle accident closes ramp onto I-5
- Urn found near rest area off of I-5
- Driver pinned by guardrail after wreck on I-5
- Douglas County deputies led on chase up and down I-5