UPDATE: After investigating, the Lane County Sheriff's Office have spoken to the owner of the white van.
They do not believe there is a threat to the community and are no longer looking for the driver.
The Principal at Elmira High School posted on Facebook a list of tips for keeping your children safe.
LANE COUNTY, Ore. -- The Lane County Sheriff's Office is looking for a man who tried to pick up a girl at a bus.
Deputies said it happened Monday at 8:20 a.m. They said a man in a white van was driving around the area of Wildwood and Ellmaker Road.
Deputies said he waved at a girl who was waiting at a bus stop. He reportedly asked her if she needed a ride to school before getting out of the van and started walking towards her.
The girl ran off and told her parents to call the police. Deputies responded to the area but were unable to find the man or the van he was driving.
Officials are now looking for the man. They said he is between 30 and 50 years old with a brown and grey beard. They said he was wearing a dark-colored shirt and had a small white dog with curly hair.
Deputies said the cargo van he was driving had a sliding side door with a ladder on top. The van also had blue lettering on the side, aftermarket bumper, and a brush guard. The girl reported seeing a lot of trash on the dashboard.
The sheriff's office would like to remind community members that staying aware of your surroundings may increase the time you have to respond to unexpected people or events.
- Walk in well lit, populated areas, especially after dark
- Use the buddy system
- Carry a way to signal for help, either a cell phone or whistle
- Deputies clear driver of white van accused of trying to grab girl
- Teacher Accused of Grabbing Student by Neck over School Dance
- Deputies: Woman broke van window, threatened man with ax
- Muenster van attack driver acted alone, police say
- Deputy accused of rape arraigned in court
- Family gets new handicapped van
- Sheriff: Deputies found van used in alleged abduction, rape of Michigan woman
- Topless protester tries to grab baby Jesus figure at Vatican
- The 1% grabbed 82% of all wealth created in 2017
- Big stock swings; Cinemark earnings; Beijing grabs Waldorf Astoria