EUGENE, Ore. – A Lane County Sheriff’s deputy has been fired as he faces new sex abuse charges involving a second victim, after being accused of raping a woman last month.
Matthew Hitson was released from jail on Friday after posting bail. He was in court earlier in the day, where the judge agreed to lower his bail.
Prosecutors filed the new charges after Hitson tried to bail out of jail for the first case.
Court documents said he sexually abused a woman while she was incapable of consenting in October 2013.
In March, Hitson was charged with raping a woman and giving her marijuana and alcohol.
During his court hearing Friday, prosecutors said he was a danger to the community and that more women have come forward. They said a search warrant shows Hitson stole restraints from the Lane County Sheriff’s Office.
The defense argued he should be released from jail because he had posted more than enough bail for the first case.
Hitson will be back in court April 30. A trial for the first case has been scheduled for May 22.
- Lane County deputy fired after new sex abuse charges filed
- Lane County deputy shoots, kills suspect
- Medford chiropractor faces sex abuse charges
- Lebanon man faces sex abuse charges
- Registered sex offender arrested Tuesday on sex abuse charges
- Man faces sex abuse charges, accused of abusing 2 teens
- Lane County strike looms
- Deputies investigate inmate death at Lane County Jail
- Lane County Deputies search for a wanted man
- Lane County Sheriff's Office deputy accused of rape.