PORTLAND, Ore. – A man is in police custody after a hit-and-run crash that seriously injured three women near Portland State University Friday morning.
The suspect was taken into custody Friday afternoon near Northeast Glisan Street and 16th Avenue. His name has not been released and he is not facing any charges yet.
Witnesses said the suspect drove a dark blue or purple SUV onto the sidewalk at Southwest 6th Avenue and Hall Street and hit three young women before driving away from the scene.
About three hours after the women were hit, the SUV was spotted across the Willamette River. Police surrounded the vehicle, pulled the man out and took him into custody.
The three women, whose names have not been released, were taken to the hospital. One woman was critically injured and another has serious but not life-threatening injuries.
Police initially said the third woman was seriously hurt, but her family now does not want her condition released.
- Man in custody after 3 hurt in Portland hit-and-run
- Driver hits and runs over a Northeast Portland woman
- Portland man, tour manager for Joe Jonas, hit by bus
- Man critically wounded in Portland shooting
- Man arrested after two carjackings in Portland
- Suspect arrested after pedestrian hit at Portland street race
- Man asks hit-and-run driver to come forward