WILLAMINA, Ore. (AP) -- Authorities have arrested two boys in connection with a Wednesday fire that killed a 79-year-old man in western Oregon.
The Yamhill County Sheriff's Office said Friday the 14-year-old grandson of the man who died in the fire and the boy's 15-year-old friend were arrested and booked into a juvenile facility.
The grandson has been charged with murder, arson and aggravated theft. His friend was charged with attempted arson and aggravated theft.
Authorities responded to a house fire in rural Willamina early Wednesday and inside found the body of a man believed to be Dieter Aulig. A woman who lived there suffered burns and was treated at a hospital.
The sheriff's office says investigators found a fire accelerant in the house and believe the boys conspired to steal money that was stored at the residence.
The sheriff's office says nearly $50,000 was recovered.
- Two teens arrested in connection with fatal Willamina fire
- Two arrested in connection with Springfield robbery
- Deputies: 3 teens arrested for starting multiple fires in Creswell
- Portland police make arrest in fatal shooting
- Second Suspect Arrested in Connection with Crescent City Murder
- Police arrest Marcola woman in connection with two robberies
- Roseburg teen dies in fatal wreck in Dixonville
- Wife arrested following fatal shooting of Portland chef
- Police investigating fatal accident
- Springfield students connect with local businesses