UPDATE -- The vehicle involved in the Monday morning traffic stop is described as a dark, two-door sport coupe and may have damage from the incident, according to a news release from the Lane County Sheriff’s Office.
Anyone who knows the location of the driver or vehicle, or who has video surveillance of the area, should call 541-682-4141, authorities say.
The vehicle was speeding on Marshall Avenue when the Oregon State Police trooper activated his lights. The driver did not stop, turned down a residential road and did a U-turn, driving directly at the trooper.
The trooper opened fire in the direction of the vehicle, which narrowly missed hitting the trooper’s car before fleeing the scene.
The sheriff’s office is leading the investigation into the trooper’s use of deadly force. The trooper’s identity has not been released.
EUGENE, Ore. -- Law enforcement officers are still searching for a driver who was shot at by an Oregon State Police trooper during an attempted traffic stop at about 1 a.m. Monday on Chase Street.
According to the Lane County Sheriff's Office, the trooper tried to perform a traffic stop at Chase Street and Marshall Avenue. Investigators said the driver failed to yield and was coming toward the trooper when the trooper opened fire.
It's not clear if the driver was hit with any of the trooper's bullets. The Lane County Sheriff's Office said the trooper who opened fire was not hurt.
The Lane County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting. Oregon State Police is investigating the traffic stop.
We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.
- Trooper opens fire on driver during traffic stop
- Oregon State Police trooper dragged during traffic stop
- DA: Bend driver killed self during traffic stop
- Troopers search for driver who crashed into building
- Traffic stop yields $1 million in illegal drugs
- Traffic stop leads to arrest of Oakland man
- Quarter pound of meth seized during traffic stop
- Traffic delays for Sutherlin drivers to last through June 24
- OSP trooper honored in Sweet Home
- Troopers find man's body in submerged truck