SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- After nearly six months without a permanent principal, A3 has hired Ame Beard to fill the spot.
Beard comes to A3 from Churchill High School, where she currently works as the assistant principal. She said she was drawn to A3 because the school has a different approach to education, and it’s one that serves many students that might not succeed without it. She said she wanted to be a part of it because she’s passionate about student success, but she’s also passionate about art and technology.
She said she wants to be able to help this school and these students begin to recover after the tragedy of losing their former principal.
"And I just want to hear from folks about what they see as their vision and assist them in the journey of recovering and moving forward in a positive direction,” Beard said.
A3 has been functioning without a principal since Jan. 31 when former principal Michael Fisher was placed on administrative leave. He was the subject of a police investigation at the time. It was later discovered that he had sexually abused a former student for four years, starting in 2007 when she was 14.
Fisher committed suicide Feb. 1.
Students said they’re happy to see the school moving forward and hopefully closing this chapter of chaos. However, it’s important to them that the school stays the comfortable, safe and inclusive place they love.
"Because if you are you, and don't feel like you fit in, A3 is kind of like the place that you will because it's not like other places,” said Destiny Stearns, a student at A3.
- A3 hires a new principal
- A3 Vice Principal resigns
- Springfield district to revoke A3 charter
- A3 parents speak out at meeting
- Creswell High School Principal and Assistant Principal Resign
- Principal at Lebanon school resigns
- A3 parents speak out at school board meeting
- Springfield Public Schools sued over alleged A3 sexual abuse
- UPDATE: Investigation continues into Springfield principal
- Police: Sex misconduct occurred on A3 property over a period of years