UPDATE: The driver of the vehicle, Pedro Chavarin Jr., 22, was arrested 4 p.m. Tuesday and charged with manslaughter in the first degree following an investigation by the Eugene Police Department's Major Collison Investigation team and the Lane County Medical Examiner, police said.
EUGENE, Ore. -- Former Ducks football player Fotu Leiato, 21, who was dismissed from the team in late April following an arrest, was killed in a single-vehicle rollover accident near Autzen Stadium on Friday morning.
Investigators say Leiato's body was discovered by a passerby several hours after the crash scene had been cleared. The driver of the vehicle, Pedro Chavarin Jr., 22, told police he was the lone occupant of the vehicle.
Chavarin was taken to the hospital, then cited for DUII.
The crash happened around 2:30 a.m. near Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard and Kinsrow Avenue.
According to police, a woman was walking in the area at 6:51 a.m. when she saw a hand, leading to the discovery of Leiato's body.
- Driver arrested in crash that killed former Ducks player
- Crash kills driver in Linn County
- UO football player arrested
- Video shows Duck fans throwing objects at Cardinal players
- 14-year-old driver killed in Lincoln County crash
- Taxi driver arrested for DUII
- Baseball Ducks get special teammate
- Driver dies in crash in Springfield
- Wrong way driver sentenced for fatal crash
- Driver hospitalized after crashing onto a tree