EUGENE, Ore. – The officer-involved shooting at a marijuana facility in Cottage Grove was the fifth officer-involved shooting in the region this summer.
The Lane County Sheriff’s Office said Joey Loop died on Thursday after being shot by deputies when he exited a building with a gun.
June 18: Oregon State Police trooper opens fire on car in Eugene
June 23: Coos Bay police fatally shoot man pointing gun at them
June 30: Eugene police shoot murder suspect
July 4: Douglas County Sheriff’s deputies open fire on car in Oakland
July 12: Lane County Sheriff’s deputies fatally shoot armed man in Cottage Grove
On June 18, an Oregon State Police trooper tried to pull over a car in the Bethel neighborhood of Eugene when the driver made a U-turn and drove straight at him. The trooper opened fire, but the car drove off.
Authorities said it’s not clear if the suspect was hit, and they are still trying to identify the driver. The trooper was put on leave but has returned to duty.
On June 23, officers pursued Eric Sweet’s vehicle to his Coos Bay home. Police said he came out with a loaded rifle and pointed it at an officer.
Police opened fire and killed Sweet. The officers are not being charged in his death.
Days later on June 30, police said David Duran tried to break into a Eugene home and stabbed the homeowner, Donald Rivers, to death.
Officers found Duran armed with a knife and tased him. When that didn’t work, they shot him and he was taken to the hospital.
The officers were not hurt and were placed on administrative leave.
On the Fourth of July, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said a man armed with a gun in Oakland drove his car at deputies and they opened fire.
Michael Powell was not hit, but he was arrested. Oregon State Police is investigating that shooting.
- Cottage Grove incident fifth officer-involved shooting in area this summer
- Man dead after officer-involved shooting in Cottage Grove
- Friends remember Cottage Grove man killed in officer-involved shooting
- Cottage Grove armory sparks controversy
- DA: Use of deadly force justified in Cottage Grove officer-involved shooting
- Cottage Grove warming center needs volunteers
- Cottage Grove Police Search for Missing Man
- Federal investigation on Cottage Grove marijuana operation
- Car barrels into Cottage Grove home
- Cottage Grove woman celebrates 100th birthday