GLIDE, Ore. -- Douglas County Sheriff’s Office deputies located the vehicle of two missing Douglas County men Sunday around 4 p.m. Derwin Young, 60, of Roseburg was pronounced deceased at the scene, and Charles Powell, 66, of Myrtle Creek is in critical condition.
Family members reported the two missing at 10:26 a.m. Sunday. Young and Powell had been camping at White Creek campground and gone for a drive to the area of Emile Park off of Little River Road. Family members became concerned when the pair did not return.
Deputies and Search and Rescue volunteers combed the area and located the 1997 Toyota Rav 4 over an embankment along the river.
Crews from the Glide Fire Department and Bay Cities Ambulance were dispatched to the scene. Powell was extricated from the vehicle by fire personnel and flown from the scene by Lifeflight to Sacred Heart Hospital at RiverBend.
The crash is under investigation. Alcohol does not appear to be a contributing factor.
- Douglas deputies find missing men in fatal crash
- Deputies investigating fatal crash in Linn County.
- Douglas Co. deputies alert residents of scam
- Douglas County Sheriff's Deputies to carry naloxone
- Deschutes deputies locate missing boy
- Douglas County Deputies need help identifying human remains
- Douglas County deputies led on chase up and down I-5
- Deputies search for 31-year-old missing man
- Alleged drunk driver crashes into home in Douglas County
- Family seeks tips to find missing father