EUGENE, Ore. -- Officers arrested a suspect Friday on assault charges stemming from a May 8 incident, in which a man and woman were menaced with a firearm and the man was assaulted with it.
At 8:25 a.m. the morning of the incident, the two victims and another woman were in an apartment in the 2100 block of Franklin Boulevard when the woman left the apartment after an argument and returned with her husband, Carvey Lewis Lester Jr., 43, of Springfield, according to a news release from the Eugene Police Department.
Lester is reported to have pointed a handgun at the female victim before hitting the male victim in the head with it several times. The female victim ran and hid, and officers arrived after 911 calls reported a man in the apartment complex with a gun. Officers were unable to locate the suspect at the time.
Authorities took Lester into custody May 11 at 12:40 p.m. at Day Island Park in Springfield as he was attempting to purchase a firearm. Lester was transported to the Lane County Jail.
The primary investigating officer located the involved firearm May 14.
Lester was brought in on charges of Assault in the Second Degree, two counts of Menacing, and Felon in Possession of a Firearm.
- Eugene police arrest assault suspect
- Eugene police arrest US Bank robbery suspect
- Eugene police search for suspect in attempted assault
- Eugene Teacher Faces Assault Charges
- Police arrest suspect in 2016 Eugene murder case
- Suspected thief arrested in Eugene police's bait bike operation
- Portland murder suspect arrested in Eugene
- Burglary suspect arrested in west Eugene Wednesday
- Suspects arrested after shooting in Eugene neighborhood
- Police search for Eugene bank robbery suspect