NEWPORT, Ore., – Police say they’ve arrested a former janitor who they say stole numerous items from two schools on the Oregon coast.
Staff at Newport High School reported a burglary Tuesday. They told police somebody entered the school early Tuesday morning. They say surveillance video showed the person going through several areas of the school using a key to open locks. Police say the suspect took multiple items, including cash from the school concession stand.
After looking at the surveillance video, school employees identified the suspect as Jacob Allen Hineline, 36, of Toledo. They say he is a former janitorial employee with Sodexo.
On Wednesday, Newport Police found Hineline at a home in Toledo where he was arrested.
Investigators say Hineline got into the school by using a master key he was issued as part of his job. Police say some of the stolen items were recovered, including the master key.
Police say the investigation also confirmed Hineline was responsible for a burglary at Taft High School early Wednesday in Lincoln City.
Hineline is being held at the Lincoln County Jail on the charges of Burglary II, Trespass II, and Theft I, related to the Newport High School burglary and Unlawful Possession of Prescription Drugs.
Lincoln City Police also charged Hineline with Burglary II, Trespass II, and Theft I, related to the Taft High School burglary.
- Former janitor accused of burglarizing two schools
- Teenagers accused of burglarizing Cottage Grove bank
- Corvallis pharmacy burglarized, suspects sought
- Several Douglas County businesses burglarized Saturday morning
- Winston Bi-Mart burglarized early Monday morning
- Hillsboro homeowner fires warning shot at burglar during second intrusion
- Oregon couple finds burglar asleep on bedroom floor
- Burglar uses chainsaw in attempt to open safe
- Roseburg Dutch Bros locations burglarized late Monday night
- Dorris Ranch Living History Village burglarized over the weekend