SALEM, Ore. - Oregon Governor Kate Brown on Friday announced Colt Gill as her choice to lead the Oregon Department of Education as her Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction pending Senate confirmation.
Gill has been filling the role in an acting capacity since October of 2017. Gill spent 10 years as superintendent of the Bethel School District.
Gill is well-versed in the challenges and opportunities facing Oregon communities, districts and students as a result of nearly 30 years of experience in Oregon schools, both in the classroom and as an administrator. In Gill’s 10 years as a superintendent with the Bethel School District, he consistently improved graduation rates for historically underserved students.
“I want to see every Oregon student graduate with a plan and the skills they need to thrive in a fast-moving global economy. We cannot start early enough in giving our kids hands-on learning opportunities with excellent teachers,” said Governor Brown. “I brought Colt into the Chief Education Office in 2016 to help turn learning into an experience, and I look forward to his continued leadership and insight in making sure that every Oregon student has what they need to thrive.”
Previous to his interim role at ODE, Gill was the Education Innovation Officer at the Chief Education Office where he focused on advancing the Governor’s goal of increasing high school graduation rates and increasing equity in schools.
The Senate will consider the appointment on Feb. 8.
- Governor Brown names Colt Gill as Department of Education Head
- Governor Kate Brown pardons former gang member
- Governor Kate Brown made honorary Girl Scout
- Report leaves ambiguity about Slats Gill's legacy on race
- Oregon Senator sues governor, state revenue department
- Oregon Legislature opens, governor calls for education focus
- Mario Cristobal officially named Oregon head football coach
- Gov. Brown visits foster families in Eugene
- Mario Cristobal expected to be named permanent head football coach for Ducks
- Web Extra: Elijah Brown on team growth, upcoming scrimmage (10/26/17)