Springfield house fire prompts warning from firefighters

The house was partially damaged after a fire started from a cigarette.

Posted: May. 13, 2018 9:29 PM
Updated: May. 13, 2018 9:29 PM

SPRINGFIELD, Ore.-- Eugene-Springfield fire officials are warning about the dangers of hot embers after a Springfield home caught fire early Sunday afternoon.

Scroll for more content...

Lance Lighty, a battalion chief with Eugene-Springfield fire, told KEZI 9 News it happened because of a cigarette.

Officials say they got the call around noon. Neighbors saw the front porch of a home on South 19th street on fire. By the time the fire department got there, the neighbors had already put the fire out by using buckets of water.

With the weather getting warmer and more dry, officials say all it takes is a small ember for something to catch on fire.

"With cigarette butts, hot ashes from your fire stove or your barbecue, make sure you put them in a place where there's not combustibles around. In this case, it happened to be on a wood deck, next to plastic siding. Just the perfect recipe to catch fire and burn up the wall,” Lighty said.

Nobody was hurt in the fire. Although, there was damage to the outside of the home.

Article Comments

Eugene
Clear
56° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 56°
Corvallis
Clear
58° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 58°
Roseburg
Clear
54° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 54°
North Bend
Overcast
51° wxIcon
Hi: 61° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 51°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events