Landlord’s quick thinking saves home

Mark Dillon spotted smoke coming from next door and went over to check it out.

Posted: Dec. 23, 2017 7:46 PM
Updated: Dec. 25, 2017 3:45 AM

SPRINGFIELD, Ore. -- A landlord's quick thinking may have saved a home from burning down on River Road in Springfield on Saturday. 


Mark Dillon spotted smoke coming from next door and went over to check it out. What he saw turned out to be an attic fire. Firefighters said it was an electrical fire.

Twenty-five firefighters responded and put the fire out before it spread.

Dillon told KEZI he thought it was just a barbecue.

"I was working in front of the house and I saw some smoke drifting kind of over the Boulevard a little bit of smoke...and I came over here to look and see who might be having a fire... expecting a barbecue or something like that...then I realized it wasn't from any of the places that I thought it might be coming from," said Dillon. 

Firefighters said the family was lucky this happened during they day. Had it happened at night, they say it's likely nobody would have seen the smoke.

Article Comments

Eugene
Broken Clouds
62° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 62°
Corvallis
Clear
64° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 64°
Roseburg
Clear
67° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 57°
Feels Like: 67°
North Bend
Broken Clouds
59° wxIcon
Hi: 65° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 59°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events