EUGENE, Ore. -- Firefighters from Lane County will help battle the Thomas Fire near Ventura, California. The team left Tuesday night with the possibility of not returning before Christmas.
Chief Chad Minter of the Coburg Fire Department will lead the strike team, which has engines from McKenzie Fire, South Lane Fire, Lane Fire Authority and Siuslaw Fire.
Minter said the team assembled at the South Lane Fire Station in Cottage Grove at 9:30 p.m. and departed at 10 p.m.
The crews are responding to a request from the California governor’s office and Oregon Gov. Kate Brown.
Once on scene, Minter said the team will protect structures.
- Lane County strike team headed to California
- Lane County strike looms
- 2nd Lane County Strike Team departs for Southern California
- Lane county prepares for employee strike
- Lane County strike ends, tentative deal reached
- Oregon Strike Teams help with California wildfire
- Linn County strike teams sent to Southern California
- Western Oregon strike teams head back home from Santa Rosa
- Hundreds gather for Lane County strike kick-off
- Lane County Health Clinics Closed, employees on strike