STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Oregon boy dies from flesh-eating bacteria

An 8-year-old Oregon boy died from rare, flesh-eating bacteria.

Posted: Jan. 24, 2018 11:16 AM

PENDLETON, Ore. (AP) - An 8-year-old Oregon boy died from rare, flesh-eating bacteria.

The East Oregonian newspaper reports Liam Ferguson of Pilot Rock wrecked his bike Jan. 13, with the end of the handlebar slicing through his jeans and cutting into his thigh.

It seemed he only needed stitches. But within days, Liam was fighting for his life.

Flesh-eating bacteria, which likely entered his wound from the soil, attacked the boy's soft tissue. He endured four surgeries before dying Sunday night at a Portland hospital.

Liam's mother and stepfather are now second-guessing themselves, wondering if they could have gotten him to the hospital sooner. They want other parents to know about the flesh-eating bacteria, known as necrotizing fasciitis, which they had previously been unaware of.

Article Comments

Eugene
Scattered Clouds
84° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 84°
Corvallis
Clear
83° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 48°
Feels Like: 83°
Roseburg
Clear
88° wxIcon
Hi: 86° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 88°
North Bend
Clear
65° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 65°
KEZI Radar
KEZI Temperatures
KEZI Planner

LATEST FORECAST

Community Events