UPDATE: Oregon State Police have identified the driver who died in Saturday's crash on Highway 36 near Junction City.
James Allen Guse, 82, of Eugene was driving the van that drifted off the road and crashed into a concrete bridge pillar shortly before 10 a.m. that morning.
Sgt. Michael Brewster said there were no passengers.
EUGENE, Ore. -- Oregon State Police are investigating a fiery crash near Junction City that killed one person and shut down Highway 36 for hours.
Police said shortly before 10 Saturday morning, a van was going east on Highway 36 (just off of Highway 99S) when it drifted off the road and crashed into a concrete bridge pillar.
"Spun around and then started on fire...then the van was fully engulfed," said Sgt. Michael Brewster. "There was one occupant in the vehicle."
Sgt. Brewster said the driver died in the crash. He said there were no passengers.
ODOT helped to divert traffic while the highway was closed, it has since re-opened.
Police have not released the name of person who died.
- UPDATE: Police identify driver killed in fiery crash on Hwy. 36
- Police identify Salem couple killed in fiery crash
- Police identify man killed in crash
- Four killed in fiery head-on crash near Yoncalla
- Four killed in fiery crash: "It was horrific."
- One dead, one injured in fiery crash
- Fiery crash sends one man to hospital
- Police identify driver killed in Highway 126 crash west of Walterville
- Hwy 99 crash sends 2 to hospital
- UPDATE: Rider identified in Springfield motorcycle crash