SALEM, Ore. (AP) - Authorities say a suspect shot by Salem police had backed his pickup into the patrol car of the officer who fired.
Lt. Dave Okada says the suspect, 40-year old Zackary Miles Pevey, was taken to a hospital for treatment. The officer, Jesse Rios, was not injured.
Okada says the incident began Thursday afternoon when officers tried to stop Pevey regarding a warrant.
Pevey fled in his Ford pickup, striking a patrol car in the getaway. Officers pursued but stopped for safety reasons.
Other officers later found Pevey and tried to arrest him in a driveway.
Okada says Pevey placed the truck in reverse and went toward Rios, prompting the officer to fire.
The Oregon State Police will investigate the shooting.
- Police shoot, wound 40-year-old suspect in Salem
- Salem police arrest man for Corvallis robbery
- Man critically wounded in Portland shooting
- Salem's toxic water advisory extended
- Salem drinking water advisory lifted
- Judge denies bail for Salem man charged in bar shooting
- Salem man arrested for leading police on chase in Springfield
- Police identify Salem couple killed in fiery crash
- Salem police arrest man after woman kidnapped at knife point
- Salem woman struck and killed on freeway