Photo Gallery 2 Images
ROSEBURG, Ore. - The Roseburg High School Future Business Leaders of America are collecting plastic bags to weave into sleeping mats for the homeless.
Roseburg High School business teacher and FBLA advisor, Larina Wornock, said she has a unique perspective on this because she's been homeless before. She said she can relate to the truly horrible way a person feels when they have to sleep on the cold, wet ground.
”It increases the risk of sicknes and makes you less comfortable, and you get less sleep, and it makes it difficult for you to move forward to do all the things you need to do to not be homeless anymore," said Wornock.
The idea is that the mats would be used underneath a person's sleeping bag or blanket to provide a barrier between them and the wet ground.
Wornock said not only is this idea receiving positive attention from the students but in the community as well. Their goal is to collect 25,000 plastic bags that will then be made into 50 mats. Each mat requires about 500 bags and they already have about 10,000 bags.
Wornock said she originally planned for this to be a one-time fun and different event for the students, but they want to keep it going as an annual event.
”This is a way for students to really serve people who aren’t necessarily able to serve themselves, and prevent sickness and prevent some of just the general discomforts that you have when you’re homeless," said Wornock.
The students will be collecting bags until January 26. Drop off locations can be found in every building of Roseburg High School.
- Roseburg High School club sets out to keep the homeless dry
- Turf work delayed at Roseburg High School
- Department of Corrections inmate found sleeping at Roseburg High School
- Roseburg High School student arrested after threat found
- Student at Roseburg High School arrested for involvement in school threat
- Roseburg School District hit with ransomware attack
- Police: Woman tries to set Roseburg DHS lobby on fire
- Roseburg VA director resigns
- School threat made towards Roseburg middle school, police investigating
- Roseburg middle school student arrested for school threat