JASPER, Ore. -- A Jasper State Park employee was charged with first-degree sex abuse, accused of having inappropriate contact with a girl while she was at the park with her family.
Deputies with the Lane County Sheriff's Office arrested David Buchanan, 32, after getting the report on Saturday. They said they were told he was wearing an Oregon State Park Ranger uniform at the the time of the incident.
After Buchanan was arrested, investigators said they determined he also matched the description of a man who allegedly exposed himself to two girls at Dexter Lake in June. Investigators said Buchanan was also charged with indencent exposure.
"I've always been really protective of my kids and kids in my care, and I assume anything can happen. And I don't assume that just because a person has a uniform or is in a position of power is in a position to take care of my child in a way that I want them to be taken care of,” said Blythe Hoag, a Creswell mother who was at the park with her children Wednesday.
"We were made aware of the arrest late on Saturday and the charges are obviously very troubling to us," said MG Devereux, the Deputy Director for Oregon Parks and Recreation. "We work very hard with our staff to make sure we uphold public trust and that folks feel we are a resource to parks. So, anytime there's a concern, we take that very seriously.”
Devereux said Buchanan has worked as a seasonal maintenance employee for Oregon Parks and Recreation since 2011.
Buchanan has been placed on unpaid administrative leave, according to Devereux.
The sheriff’s office said they’re concerned there may be more victims and asks anyone with information to call Detective Greg Jones at 541-682-2342.
This case is still under investigation. Buchanan will be back in court next month.
- Jasper State Park employee charged with sex abuse
- Medford chiropractor faces sex abuse charges
- Lebanon man faces sex abuse charges
- Registered sex offender arrested Tuesday on sex abuse charges
- Man faces sex abuse charges, accused of abusing 2 teens
- Quran instructor from Corvallis faces sex abuse charges in Tigard
- Police searching for Coquille man charged with sex abuse
- Former Oregon teacher pleads guilty to 9 sex abuse charges
- Lane County deputy fired after new sex abuse charges filed
- Former Monroe firefighter jailed again, faces 3 sex abuse charges