SALEM, Ore. – Oregon’s treasurer is now calling for state Sen. Jeff Kruse of Roseburg to resign.
This follows allegations of inappropriate behavior toward women, including two other senators. On Wednesday, Sen. Sara Gelser filed a complaint against Kruse, which triggers a formal investigation.
Oregon State Treasurer Tobias Read issued a statement on Thursday, calling for Kruse to resign:
“For generations, large portions of our population were explicitly excluded from equal participation in our political process and our government. In recent weeks, on both the local and national level, we have started a long overdue but necessary conversation about the numerous other ways in which power can be used to create hostile and unwelcoming workplaces and to reassert traditional hierarchies in our public sphere. Women and men from across the country are speaking up and rightfully demanding accountability.
“I have known Senator Gelser for years, and have admired her passionate advocacy for those who are oftentimes excluded or marginalized. Her accounts of Senator Kruse’s behavior are concerning and warrant investigation and action. What troubles me the most is that it is clear Senator Kruse is not interested or capable of changing his behavior even after it was previously documented and addressed by Senate Leadership. Even more disappointing is his failure to take responsibility for the impact of his behavior on Senator Gelser and other women and men who come to work in the Capitol and participate in our democratic process without the threat of harassment or abuse.
“A resignation by Senator Kruse would demonstrate that he is willing to accept responsibility and put the state and its citizens first. Most importantly, it would send a signal to Oregonians that our government is open, accessible, and respectful to everyone. It’s time for him to resign.”
- State treasurer calls for Sen. Kruse to resign
- Sen. Jeff Kruse resigns amid sexual misconduct allegations
- State senator files formal complaint against Sen. Kruse
- Second state senator accuses Sen. Kruse of sexual harassment
- Sen. Jeff Kruse claims sexual misconduct allegations were scripted
- The first meeting to replace Sen. Jeff Kruse is Saturday
- Report: Kruse engaged in offensive conduct
- Process to replace Kruse will be quick
- Senator Kruse denies masturbating in video posted on YouTube
- Commissioners appoint a replacement for Senator Jeff Kruse