TIGARD, Ore. (AP) — An off-duty police officer from Tigard was critically injured when authorities say an intoxicated driver slammed into his car.
The Tigard Police Department says Officer Matthew Barbee was driving home from his patrol shift in the early morning hours Thursday.
Barbee had car trouble and pulled over to wait for help.
While he was waiting inside his car, an intoxicated driver slammed into his car from behind.
Barbee is in critical condition at a local trauma center.
"Matt is one of the most kind hearted people I know, he would give you the shirt off of his back," said Barbee's wife, Sherrie.
The department says the driver remained at the scene and charges are pending.
The person's name was not released.
- Tigard police officer critically injured in crash involving drunk driver
- Police: Drunk driver involved in late-night crash
- Drunk driver plows through fence
- Eugene Police searching for driver involved in hit & run crash
- Alleged drunk driver crashes into home in Douglas County
- Quran instructor from Corvallis faces sex abuse charges in Tigard
- Ex-Tigard teacher accused of sexually abusing 2 students
- Police: drunk man arrested after running from officers
- Eugene Police confirm officer-involved shooting
- Driver dead in bus crash involving high schoolers