WAIKOLOA, Hawaii – Freshman Donald Kay shot a 4-under par 68 to lead
Oregon in the opening round of the Amer Ari Invitational at the Waikoloa
Kings' Golf Course Thursday. Kay is tied for second individually, two
shots off the lead, while the Ducks as a team are tied for 10th at
How it Happened: Kay began his round with a birdie on the par-3 15th
hole then made seven consecutive pars before recording his second birdie
at the par-4 fifth hole. He then made back-to-back birdies on holes 12
and 13 to complete a bogey-free round and set a new career-low.
Edwin Yi shot a 1-under par round of 71 and is tied for 27th. Yi had an
up-and-down day making five birdies, two bogeys and a double bogey, but
closed the day going 2 under in his final five holes.
Another freshman, Thomas Mulligan, shot a career-low with a 1-over par
73. Mulligan bogeyed three of his first four holes before bouncing back
with an eagle on the par-5 18th hole. After dropping back to 3-over for
the round through 14 holes, Mulligan birdied two of his last four holes
to get back to 1 over.
Ryan Gronlund shot a 3-over par 75 and Norman Xiong finished with a
5-over 77 to close out the scoring for the Ducks. Teddy Oitzman saw his
first action while at Oregon and shot a 1-over par 73 playing as an
individual. Roberto Lebrija saw his first action of the season and
turned in a round of 6-over par 78 also playing as an individual.
Ducks on the Leaderboard:
T10. Oregon – 287 (-1)
T2. Donald Kay – 68 (-4)
T27. Edwin Yi – 71 (-1)
T48. Thomas Mulligan – 73 (+1)
T48. Teddy Oitzman – 73 (+1)*
T75. Ryan Gronlund – 75 (+3)
T96. Norman Xiong – 77 (+5)
T104. Roberto Lebrija – 78 (+6)*
*Competing as an individual
Up Next: The Ducks will continue play at Waikoloa on Friday with a
shotgun start once again scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Pacific.
Story provided by UO Athletics.
- Kay leads Ducks in round one of Amer Ari Invitational
- Duck's Season Ends In Round 2 of NIT (3/18/18)
- Diamondbacks Pick Ducks' Mercer in 5th Round (6/5/18)
- Beavers End Streak Against Ducks
- Oregon Sanders' Slam Leads Ducks to Victory at Oregon State (3/31/318)
- Oregon Cruises in First Round
- Ducks Flush Cougs To Finish Weekend Sweep
- Ducks Let One Get Away in LA
- Ducks Drop Second Thriller In L.A.
- Duck's Tournament Run Ends In Semis