SURPRISE, Ariz. – Nick Madrigal and Trevor Larnach each homered to pace the second-ranked Oregon State baseball team to a 5-2 win over New Mexico Friday at Surprise Stadium.
The win sent Oregon State to its ninth consecutive season-opening win.
Madrigal finished the afternoon 3-for-4 with three runs batted in. He singled, doubled and homered in the win. His home run opened the game’s scoring in the fourth inning as it brought in Cadyn Grenier, who had walked to open the inning. Trevor Larnach then hit his home run in back-to-back fashion – the first Beavers to do so since KJ Harrison and Jeff Hendrix against Portland in 2015.
Larnach’s blast – to straightaway center – made it 3-0 in favor the Beavers, which was pushed to 5-0 when Madrigal and Tyler Malone drove in solo runs in the fifth.
The Lobos picked up a pair of runs in the sixth off Oregon State starter Luke Heimlich, who improved to 1-0 with the win. He scattered four hits and two runs in six innings. Reliever Brandon Eisert came on in the seventh and picked up the save with three scoreless innings. He did not allow a baserunner and struck out three.
Oregon State opened its fourth consecutive season in Surprise, where the Beavers have now gone 20-5 since 2015.
Oregon State improved to 18-6 under head coach Pat Casey in season openers. With the win, Oregon State has won nine straight to open the season. The last season-opening loss came in 2009, 5-4 at Tennessee. The Beavers have been 1-0 on the year 79 times in the program’s history.
On Opening Day
In three season openers, Nick Madrigal has combined to go 7-for-11 with five runs batted in. He went 4-for-4 against Ball State in 2016 – his first career game – and was 0-for-3 against Indiana to open 2017.
Oregon State continues action Saturday when taking on Gonzaga in Surprise. First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m. PT (1 p.m. in Arizona).
- Oregon State opens 2018 with 5-2 win
- Web Extra: Mike White after Oregon's 5-2 win over Utah (5/5/18)
- Web Extra: Gwen Svekis After 5-2 Win Over Arizona (4/6/18)
- Web Extra: Mike White After 5-2 Win Over Arizona (4/6/18)
- Oregon opens 2018 with win in Las Vegas
- USC wins 4th straight with 74-67 victory over Oregon State
- Oregon State begins weekend with OT win on the Palouse
- Oregon State Gets the Win on Senior Day
- Oregon State wins Civil War series in game two
- Oregon opens weekend of dual-squad action