EUGENE, Ore. — A Eugene firefighter is in the hospital after being injured while fighting the Douglas Complex Fires.
That fire is burning at about 45,000 acres.
Kenneth Cole from Eugene was helping to fight the fires when he had an allergic reaction to smoke inhalation from poison oak that was burning. He’s a part of the Dust Busters Plus, LLC contract company. Cole was taken to Three Rivers Medical Center in Grants Pass at about 4 a.m. Tuesday and is in stable condition.
Dust Buster Plus credits his fellow fighters for getting him out of the situation quickly and saving his life. It says all of the firefighters are suffering from pretty bad poison oak out there. They say they are a family and safety is their top priority.
Cole and his team with Dust Busters Plus were focusing on reducing fuels around the fire. These are the people hiking in long distances to build the fire line.
Cole was released from the hospital late Tuesday evening and is with his family. Dust Busters Plus says he’s anxious to get back out on the fire lines.