Trucks lined the building on Franklin Street as they raced to put out the flames. Investigators say the fire was in the HVAC duct work, and appears to isolated.
The safety precautions set inside the duct work system worked properly.
“I think it’s just a good indicator of a good fire extinguishing system working properly,” says Capt. Ray Smith with Eugene Fire, “The sprinklers worked, the alarm system went off, people got out of the building. It was real easy for us to get in and deal with the fire and all the students and staff were out of the building.”
Crews think embers got into the duct system and ignited the filters, but the investigation is ongoing.