It started at about 2:45 p.m. on South Ridgeway Road. Goshen, Pleasant Hill and Dexter fire crews all responded.
The homeowner says she saw a garbage can filled with smoke near the barn and then she saw smoke coming from the garbage. Within seconds, she said there was fire in the garbage, so she called 911. She said within probably five minutes, the barn was on fire.
The lone goat in the barn was rescued, and the chickens made it out safely.
Fire crews are trying to figure out what started the fire.