It happened at about 1 p.m. Thursday in the 700 block of 53rd Street. Nobody was home. Investigators say it appears the fire started inside, possibly in the kitchen.
“It was a fairly open house, which allowed the smoke to spread. The firefighters did an excellent job of knocking the interior down. The smoke damage happened before they got there,” said Chief Matthew Steinberg, Eugene-Springfield Fire and Safety.
Crews were able to keep the fire contained to the kitchen. No word on how much damage was done.