FLORENCE, Ore. – The Oregon Parks and Recreation reopened the Heceta Head Lighthouse Saturday.
After closing in August 2011 to be restored, the lighthouse’s reopening was celebrated by OPRD and around 100 supporters of the Heceta Head State Scenic Viewpoint. Many who attended were involved in the restoration work.
The event kicked off with a series of speeches, followed by the uncovering of the lighthouse’s original first-order Fresnel lens and the relighting of the 1,000-watt quartz bulb with its signature of one white flash every 10 seconds. Attendees enjoyed tours of the tower and refreshments on the lawn of the Heceta Head Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast.
The lighthouse tower was originally constructed in 1893 and its five-wick kerosene lantern first lit in 1894. OPRD hired a team of subcontractors and craftspeople to restore the lighthouse. They replaced and restored the tower’s stucco, metalwork and masonry, installed new windows and repaired the lens’ rotating mechanism.
The nearly $1.6 million project was financed through a combination of federal, state and private dollars, including a $1.27 million grant from the Federal Highway Administration.
The restoration project was the winner of a 2013 Oregon Heritage Excellence Award from the Oregon Heritage Commission, which declared it “an exceptional example of an extensive, successful restoration project of a historically significant structure.”
For more information on the lighthouse, click here.