«

»

LRAPA Warns of Mill Fire Debris Dangers

Springfield Mill FireSPRINGFIELD, Ore. — Debris from last week’s mill fire in Springfield is still being found within a five-mile radius of the site.

Several residents have found burnt material ranging from the size of a quarter to the size of their palm.

Lane Regional Air Protection Agency says people need to be very careful before handling the debris. Some of it has tested positive for asbestos. You need to use a spray mister to wet the material down before handling it.

“When asbestos fibers are wet, they can’t be airborne, and therefore won’t be harmful. But still we want to encourage people to wear gloves and masks and use sealable plastic bags if they are going to dispose of it,” said Jo Niehaus, LRAPA spokesperson.

Call Lane County Public Works to dispose of the debris.

Experts hope the recent rain and wind has carried the asbestos out of the area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


× 2 = 14

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>