«

»

Preventing Fires During the Winter

EUGENE, Ore. — As the weather gets colder, local fire departments are reminding people to be careful when heating their homes.

Lane County fire officials said they often times see many fires caused by improper use of space heaters, chimneys, and wood burning stoves.

They said at the beginning of winter people need to clean chimneys and stoves, and always double check to make sure the flue is open when lighting the fireplace.

“The key thing that we have during the wintertime is combustibles too close to heating devices, now people think well a rug’s not combustible. Anything that can burn is considered a combustible,” said Dean Chappell, fire marshall for the Lane Fire Authority.

Chappell said anything that could light on fire needs to be kept at least three feet from space heaters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


5 − = 1

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>