«

»

Ventilation Fan Catches on Fire

CORVALLIS, Ore. — A ventilation fan fire is serving as a safety reminder for homeowners.

The fan in a home on the 33000 block of SE Terra Lane caught fire, damaging the ceiling and the attic. Investigators say the motor got so hot, it torched the plastic around it. The homeowner tells us the fan hadn’t been replaced since the home was built in the 1960s.

“These fans are not designed to last forever and many of them have been in homes for 20 or 30 years. Only since the early nineties have safety features been built into these fans that allow them to shut off should they seize and overheat,” said fire prevention officer Jim Patton.

If you have one of these fans in your home, clean it once a year. If it starts to make unusual noises or smells odd, it’s time to replace it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


7 − 3 =

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>