«

»

Willamette HS Evacuated After Fire

3-10 willamette high schoolEUGENE, Ore. — A close call at Willamette High School. The stage curtains in the auditorium caught fire.

The fire started a little before 7 p.m. Monday night as a band was getting ready to take the stage. Firefighters say a light that was on stage was too close to the curtains.

The heat from the light caught the curtains on fire. That’s when staff and faculty got busy.

They grabbed extinguishers and put out the fire. Then everyone evacuated the building and waited for firefighters.

“It made all the difference from a couple thousand dollar fire to a $100 fire,” said Batt. Capt. Lance Lighty with the Eugene Springfield Fire Department. “The quick action, the fire extinguisher being in the right place, and them putting the fire out.”

There were sprinklers in the building, but firefighters say the fire didn’t get hot enough to trigger them. No one was injured.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


8 − = 5

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>