EUGENE, Ore. – The best ways to keep yourself safe while swimming, in a backyard pool or a lake, is to never swim alone and wear a life jacket, experts say.
Life jackets should always be worn when playing near rivers, lakes and streams, and should be snug but not too tight or too loose.
Experts say that if someone is in trouble in the water, call 911 and don’t jump in after them.
- Firebusters: Swim with a buddy and wear a life jacket, experts say
- Firebusters: Dispatchers offer advice on calling 911
- Firebusters: Safety helmets can save lives
- Firebusters: Smokey Bear urges fire safety as camping season nears
- Firebusters: Never leave cooking food unattended, officials say
- Experts recommend getting first mammogram at 40
- Former soldier gives up life in the service to raise kids
- Skilled to Work: Trade school turns a local student's life around