EUGENE, Ore. -- Lane Electric Cooperative has a number of scholarship opportunities available for high school seniors and adults, and it also has jobs available.
With more people retiring than entering into careers as linemen, Lane Electric said these positions are getting harder to fill. Currently, Lane Electric has two open positions for linemen.
Lane Electric Cooperative also offers scholarships to its members of all ages, from high school seniors to adults who are looking for continuing education opportunities.
One of those scholarships is for the VOLTA training academy. Lane Electric is offering a scholarship to help support VOLTA tuition for someone who may be interested in the linework industry. This is a step that would be prior to an apprenticeship, which is required to become a lineman.
Lane Electric also offers a $4,500 scholarship for people interested in attending Lane Community College in the fall. This scholarship is meant to provide an opportunity for Lane Electric members who have been in the workplace awhile, whose jobs have ended, who are interested in changing careers, or for parents who have raised their children and are now ready to begin a college career.
“It’s a very rewarding career,” said Tony Toncray of Lane Electric. “I’ve been in the industry for 30 years, and it’s really nice when you get that call in the middle of the night that the power is out and you can go out and restore power to someone who may be cold out there and not have lights on at their house, so it’s very rewarding and fulfilling.”
The ideal candidate for linework should be comfortable with heights and different weather conditions and should have mechanical and algebra skills.
To learn more about opportunities with Lane Electric, click here.
KEZI is partnering with employers in our area to address the lack of workers for skilled jobs. To learn more about our "Skilled to Work" initiative, click here.
- Lane Electric has scholarships available for members
- Consumer Reports: Tips to getting college scholarships
- Consumer Reports: Best electric mowers
- EPUD offering rebate for hybrid electric water heater
- More electric vehicle charging options coming to Coos Bay, Roseburg
- Thurston High students learning how to build electric race cars
- Lane County Fair seeks to reduce waste
- Lane County holding plastics roundup event
- Hazardous waste roundup scheduled in Lane County
- Lane County plans hazardous waste roundup