EUGENE, Ore. -- In the cheese-making process, billions of pounds of whey go to waste, and so researchers from Oregon State University are exploring using the leftover whey to make vodka.
The researchers said it can be expensive to get rid of whey, and it’s potentially harmful to the environment.
Some companies are producing whey-based spirits, and researchers are looking into the flavor characteristics of different wheys and the spirits they produce.
They said it could be an easier and cheaper option than turning whey into protein powder.
- Researchers look into using leftover whey to make vodka
- Researchers develop targeted breast cancer therapy
- Research shows birth control could increase breast cancer risk
- Make your home smarter
- Skilled to Work: Industry leader encourages students to do their research
- Hummingbird Wholesale makes recycling easy
- Youth campers making miniature worlds
- Learn to make your own garden during mulching workshop
- Youngest supervisor making own path at Johnson Crushers International
- Consumer Reports: Tips to make your cell-phone battery last longer