We're not even two full months into 2018, and there have already been at least eight school shootings in the US.
The parameters CNN followed in this count are:
- A shooting at a school, college or university
- A shooting that occurred on school grounds
- We included gang violence, fights and domestic violence cases
- We included accidental discharge of a firearm as long as the first two parameters were met
February 14: Parkland, Florida
A 19-year-old man gunned down students and staff with a rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, slaughtering at least 17 unsuspecting students and adults. The suspect, Nikolas Cruz, had once been expelled from the high school over disciplinary problems, officials said.
February 9: Nashville
A high school student was shot five times in the parking lot of Pearl-Cohn High School.
February 5: Oxon Hill, Maryland
A high school student was shot in the parking lot of Oxon Hill High. The victim was treated and later released. Police arrested two teens and said they are acquaintances of the victim.
February 1: Los Angeles
A15-year-old boy was shot in the head and a 15-year-old girl shot in the wrist at Sal Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, officials said. Two other students were grazed by bullets. A 12-year-old girl was booked for negligent discharge of a firearm in that shooting, which was considered "unintentional," the Los Angeles police said.
January 31: Philadelphia
A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.
January 23: Benton, Kentucky
A15-year-old student shot 16 people -- killing two other 15-year-olds -- at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, authorities said. The student faces two charges of murder and 12 counts of first degree assault, authorities said.
January 22: Italy, Texas
A 15-year-old student was wounded in a shooting at a high school in Italy, Texas, authorities said. The suspect, a 15-year-old, was quickly apprehended.
January 20: Winston Salem, North Carolina
A Winston-Salem State University football player was shot to death at a campus party. Najee Ali Baker was killed on the campus of Wake Forest University.
Update: This story has been updated throughout to reflect the parameters CNN uses to count school shootings.
- There have been eight school shootings in 2018. And it's only February
- Crump on the McGlockton shooting (July 2018)
- The 10 Senate seats most likely to flip in 2018: February edition
- 5 great places to visit in February
- Apple's HomePod speaker gets February launch date
- 5 things for February 26: Florida shooting, Syria, China, Winter Olympics
- 5 things for February 28: Florida shooting, White House, teacher strike, Apple
- 5 things for February 15: School massacre, White House, Zuma, Puerto Rico, phones
- Politicians react to Kentucky school shooting
- Students injured after shooting at middle school