Move over Microsoft. Amazon is now the biggest company in the state of Washington -- and third largest in America.
Amazon's market value soared above $685 billion, making the Jeff Bezos-led giant worth more than Microsoft for the first time ever. Microsoft's market value currently stands at $684 billion.
Amazon now trails only Apple, which has a market cap of about $815 billion, and Google owner Alphabet, valued at $750 billion.
These tech giants are all in a race to the magical trillion dollar level, a height that no U.S. company has topped as of yet.
But Amazon clearly has the most momentum. Its stock has soared nearly 21% this year, well ahead of the gains of Alphabet and Microsoft. Apple's stock has fallen year-to-date.
Bezos has already passed Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates as the wealthiest person on the planet back in October, according to Forbes and Bloomberg. Bezos is now worth $116 billion, nearly $25 billion more than Gates.
Berkshire Hathaway CEO Warren Buffett and Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg rank third and fourth in the world's richest rankings.
- Amazon worth more than Microsoft for first time
- Microsoft may soon be worth $1 trillion
- Amazon is now worth $1,000,000,000,000
- Amazon is worth $1 trillion
- Amazon, Microsoft among top companies hiring foreign workers
- Microsoft passes Google in market value. Next up? Amazon
- Microsoft stops Kremlin-based hackers
- Microsoft takes on Russian meddling
- Next stop for Microsoft: $1 trillion?
- Microsoft exec: Russia already targeting 2018 campaigns