A top trending video on YouTube Wednesday suggested an outspoken survivor of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is an actor.
Calls by student David Hogg for stricter gun laws in the days after last week's massacre have made him the subject of smear campaigns and demonstrably false conspiracy theories.
"I'm not a crisis actor," Hogg told CNN's Anderson Cooper on "AC360" Tuesday. "I'm someone who had to witness this and live through this and I continue to be having to do that."
He added, "I'm not acting on anybody's behalf."
The YouTube video, captioned "DAVID HOGG THE ACTOR," is of a local television report from Southern California in which a young surfer gets into an argument with a Redondo Beach lifeguard after the youth is criticized for placing his boogie board on top of a trash can. It was the No. 1 trending video Wednesday morning until it was taken down following a CNN inquiry.
"We felt threatened," Hogg tells the reporter, speaking of his friend's encounter with the lifeguard. "He seemed unpredictable."
YouTube did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Other videos calling Hogg a crisis actor are still up on the video-sharing site.
Hogg, 17, and many of his classmates have been outspoken about the need for stricter gun laws since they witnessed the massacre of 17 students and staff members at their Florida high school last week.
Memes and other YouTube videos have surfaced with outlandish claims the students are anti-gun "actors" who travel around the country to the sites of mass shootings.
Some have suggested that Hogg's father, a former FBI agent, coached his son to criticize President Donald Trump -- an allegation that Donald Trump Jr. appeared to endorse on Twitter.
It's not the first time such allegations have surfaced. After the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, some conspiracy theorists said the massacre was staged by the government and accused victims' families of being paid actors.
- Trending YouTube video calls shooting survivor David Hogg an actor. That's a lie
- The right's insane sliming of David Hogg
- A brief history of how Parkland survivor David Hogg keeps schooling lawmakers on social media
- The home of Parkland survivor David Hogg was swatted this morning
- Fox News host Laura Ingraham apologizes for mocking David Hogg
- David Hogg rejects Laura Ingraham's apology for mocking tweet
- David Hogg says he plans to attend Harvard
- Parkland activist David Hogg calls for boycott of BlackRock and Vanguard
- YouTube restricts gun videos
- La presentadora de Fox News Laura Ingraham pide perdón por burlarse de David Hogg