It just wasn't Bayern Munich's night in the Champions League.
The German champions kept Cristiano Ronaldo off the score sheet but still lost to Real Madrid 2-1 in the first leg of their Champions League semifinal in Munich, paying the price for a host of missed chances and a defensive blunder.
Real Madrid wins 2-1 at Allianz Arena
Bayern opened scoring after Keylor Navas error
Marcelo and Marco Asensio then scored for Real Madrid
Liverpool with one foot in final after beating Roma 5-2 Tuesday
Ronaldo's streak of scoring in 11 straight Champions League games indeed came to an end but the twice defending champions and record 12-time winners of Europe's top club competition got goals from Marcelo in the 44th minute and substitute Marco Asensio in the 57th to offset Joshua Kimmich's opener in the 28th.
The sides have now been paired together four times in the knockout phase since 2012 and it appears as if Real Madrid will come out on top for the third time -- although Bayern also lost the first leg of their quarterfinal 2-1 at home last season prior to forcing extra time in the return leg at the Bernabeu.
Yet Bayern could go into the second leg next week missing two key figures, winger Arjen Robben and central defender Jerome Boateng, who both limped off prior to halftime Wednesday. Starting left back David Alaba was ruled out before kickoff with a thigh injury, joining Arturo Vidal and longterm absentee Manuel Neuer.
It is shaping up to be a Real Madrid-Liverpool final in Kiev next month after the Reds thumped Roma 5-2 in the first leg of their semifinal Tuesday in Liverpool.
More to follow
- No goals for Ronaldo but Real Madrid rallies to beat Bayern 2-1 in Champions League
- Real Madrid beat Bayern Munich to reach Champions League final
- Real Madrid to face Bayern Munich, Liverpool gets Roma in Champions League semis
- Champions League: El Real Madrid se enfrentará al PSG
- Champions League: Holders Real Madrid stunned by CSKA Moscow
- Real Madrid tops Champions League earnings with $101 million
- Real Madrid vence al Bayern y avanza a la final de la Champions
- Real Madrid beats Liverpool 3-1 to win Champions League, make more history
- Cristiano Ronaldo va a la Juventus, confirma el Real Madrid