The Ebola virus outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 33 people, the World Health Organization said Sunday.
An additional 43 suspected cases of Ebola were reported, including 13 confirmed by lab testing, according to WHO.
Continents and regions
Democratic Republic of Congo
Diseases and disorders
Epidemics and outbreaks
Health and medical
Non-profit and NGO organizations
World Health Organization
The outbreak is spreading through five health zones in North Kivu province and one health zone in Ituri province, which poses geographic and political challenges, the WHO said. North Kivu borders Rwanda and Uganda and trade activity fuels heavy movement across the borders.
North Kivu also hosts over 1 million displaced people and fighting between government forces and armed militant groups makes containing the highly infectious virus a challenge.
"We're responding to an outbreak of this high-threat pathogen, with one of the highest mortality rates of any known disease, but in the context of a war zone," Peter Salama, Head of Emergencies at WHO said.
Health officials announced the outbreak Wednesday, about a week after the government of Congo declared another Ebola outbreak in Equateur province had been contained. That outbreak was about 2,500 km (1,553 miles) from the current outbreak.
There are 33 additional "suspected cases" in the North Kivu outbreak that are pending lab test results to "confirm or exclude Ebola virus disease," according to WHO.
Three healthcare workers have been affected, including two who died, the WHO said.
"The Ministry of Health, WHO, and partners are working to establish the full extent of this outbreak", the WHO statement read.
- 33 reported dead in Congo Ebola outbreak
- Up to 319 people dead as Congo Ebola outbreak worsens
- Ebola outbreak declared in Democratic Republic of Congo
- DR Congo's Ebola outbreak claims more lives, vaccinations under way
- Ebola outbreak worst in history of Democratic Republic of Congo
- Ebola outbreak in Congo surpasses 600 cases amid more violence
- Ebola outbreak death toll reaches 27 in Congo, WHO says
- Experimental drugs approved for use in Congo Ebola outbreak
- Ebola experts pulled from Congo amid ongoing outbreak
- Congo Ebola outbreak is 2nd largest, 2nd deadliest