EUGENE, Ore. – South Eugene High School has been ranked the number one public school in Oregon by a national research website.
South Eugene High School received an A+ for academics and college prep. It also got an A for its teachers, a B+ for diversity and a B for health and safety.
The rating comes from Niche.com which based its rankings on statistics from the department of education and reviews from millions of parents and students.
They also looked at state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates and the quality of the teachers.
"While there is still good work to be done it's filled with excellent families and excellent teachers,” said Any Dey, The Director of Secondary Education for 4J.
Dey said as the former principal of South Eugene High School, he's proud of ranking so high, and said it takes a team to get to this level of recognition.
“It's a testament to the student's work, the work of the faculty and the work of the staff from the administrative team to the custodial workers who help keep the place nice,” Dey said.
Carey Killen is beginning her first year as principal of South Eugene High School. She said she's proud to take on this role in such a high-ranking school.
"South Eugene has a long standing reputation for really striving for excellence and having been in a lot of high schools around the state, I know every high school puts in a tremendous effort to try to help students,” Killen said.
This isn't the only school in the district that made the list. Sheldon High School also ranked number 22.
"Sheldon has again a lot of great students, a lot of great families and a lot of great teachers and administrators to make that place what it is.” Dey said.
Other schools in the area also made the list. Corvallis High School came in 10th place.
Crescent Valley High School ranked number 15, followed by West Albany.
Dey said it was an honor to be ranked on this list, but said there's still work that needs to be done. He said he looks forward to these improvements.
To view the complete list of schools, click here.
- South Eugene High School ranks No. 1 in the state
- High-ranking Buddhist monk accused of sexual abuse in China
- Skripal suspect was high-ranking military officer, says investigative website
- New State Dept travel guidance ranks countries by threat level
- Quadruplets graduate high school together
- Nation's school report card ranks Detroit schools as worst in the nation
- Officials respond to reports of active shooter at South Florida high school
- Facebook to rank news outlets by trustworthiness
- Trump's most ridiculous celebrity Twitter rants, ranked
- The definitive ranking of 2020 Democrats