SALEM, Ore. (AP) - A student has been found dead by gunshot in the baseball fields of a high school in a small town in Oregon, and the sheriff's office says it is investigating the death as a suicide.
The Marion County Sheriff's Office says that when deputies arrived at Jefferson High School, in the town of Jefferson, midmorning Monday, they found the body of the 17-year-old male.
The school was placed on lockdown until students were released from school at 1:00 p.m. The sheriff's office said law enforcement is working with the school district to address any needs of the students and the community.
Lt. Chris Baldridge of the sheriff's office said no further details will be released.
Jefferson, a town of 3,000, is located 8 miles (13 kilometers) south of Salem, the state capital.
- 17-year-old student kills self outside high school
- Thurston High School student designs Nike shoes
- 17-year-old suspect in Eugene shooting identified, charged as adult
- 17-year-old convicted of sexually assaulting 2 girls
- Roseburg High School student arrested after threat found
- Parents and students react to lockdown at Lebanon High School
- Gateways High School students concerned about building's safety
- Students learning woodworking skills at Springfield High School
- High school students teach kids about making "Drug Free Choices"
- Man arrested following shooting death of high school student