EUGENE, Ore. -- The 2019 Eugene Marathon will start and end at Autzen Stadium as crews work on the renovations at Hayward Field.
Ian Dobson with the Eugene Marathon said the race called Autzen Stadium home during it's first two years, but nest year runners will finish on the 50-yard line for the first time.
"Autzen Stadium was the obvious other big iconic venue here in Eugene so that was our first choice and we're super pleased that it has worked out," Dobson said "We will be able to finish inside the stadium on the 50-yard line."
Dobson said the 2019 course will also snake through parts of downtown including Kesey Square. Brittany Quick-Warner with the Eugene Area Chamber of Commerce said many business owners are looking forward to having a front row seat to the action and race officials have already given them the heads up.
"They're already reaching out to business owners downtown to talk about what are some of cool collaborations or opportunities that they can work together on for this event to make sure they provide something really awesome for spectators," Quick-Warner said. "But then also so they can mitigate any issues they have with traffic."
While the 2019 Eugene Marathon won't go through historic Hayward Field, Bob Coll of Eugene Running Company said the marathon is a critical part of Eugene's running legacy and is an event that is not to be missed.
"It's kind of a bummer in some respects that we can't finish on Hayward Field this year," Coll said. "But Autzen is a great consolation prize."
Events for the Eugene Marathon kick off April 26 and go through April 28. Dobson said so far just under 1,000 people have signed up.
They are still working on the course layout for the 5K and kids run. Dobson hopes the marathon returns to Hayward Field once the renovations are complete.
- 2019 Eugene Marathon will start and end at Autzen
- Eugene Marathon starts and finishes at Autzen Stadium
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Marathon Needs Volunteers
- Tailgating changes at Autzen
- Marathon Monday: Eugene Has Heart
- Thousands participate in Eugene Marathon
- Eugene Police preparing for Eugene Marathon
- Duck Dash and Eugene 5K held at Autzen Stadium Saturday
- Eugene City Council OKs extended tailgating time at Autzen Stadium
- Marathon Monday: The Eugene Marathon Goes Green For the Gold